Offences & Penalties

Some of the Traffic offences:

SL No. Description Section of WBMVR/CMVR/M.V.ACT
1 Not stopping at Red Light 119/177
2 Disobey of Traffic Signs 119/177
3 Improper and Obstructive Parking 122/177
4 Driving without helmet 129/177
5 Improper display of number plate Cmvr50/177
6 Driving with a defective  number plate Cmvr50/177
7 Violation of Stop line Cmvr113(1)/177
8 Allowing unauthorised person to drive 5/180
9 Driving by minors 4/181
10 Driving without License 3/181
11 Over Speeding 112/183(1)
12 Driving dangerously 184


Some major Motor Vehicle Offences –

SL No. Description Section of M. V. ACT
1 Without pollution control certificate 115(7)/190(2)
2 Overloading in goods vehicles 113/194
3 Without permit or contravention of any permit conditions 66/192A
4 Without registration 39/192
5 Without insurance certificate 146/196
6 Without fitness certificate 56/192 & 39/192


  1. Under what circumstances case may be lodged against your vehicle?

Enforcement wing deploy its teams for regulating, monitoring, enforcing the Motor Vehicle Act and the rules made there under. You may be stopped by one of these teams. You may be asked to produce the following documents in original:

  • Driving License.
  • Registration Certificate.
  • Insurance certificate.
  • Pollution under control certificate.
  • Permits (for commercial vehicles only).
  • Certificate of fitness (for commercial vehicles only).
  • Road Tax Receipt.


  1. What happens when a case is lodged against your vehicle?

Seizure list will be issued to you containing the following details:

  • The authority before which you are required to appear.
  • General details of offences committed.
  • Date by which to appear.
  • Name and address of offender.
  • Name and signature of the seizing officer.
  • Details of documents retained.

Besides this your vehicle may also be impounded depending on gravity of violation.

  1. How can you get the case disposed off?


By appearing and applying in writing before the compounding authority and depositing the notified amount.


You have the choice for disposal in the Court having jurisdiction.

  1. How will you get your impounded documents released?
  • From the court, if the case is to be disposed of in the court.
  • From Compounding Authority / I. O., when the case is compounded.


  1. How will you get your impounded vehicle released?

After payment of the fines you will be given a vehicle release order and you will have to approach the custodian with that and pay the custodial fees, wherever necessary, to secure release of the seized vehicle.